[pvrusb2] Black screen, device stuck, need to power cycle to clear

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Mon Sep 27 10:22:12 CDT 2010

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010, Bill Kristan wrote:

> New problem... my wintv-hvr-1950 now works only briefly, then stops. The
> device node is still there, and I can play it (with mplayer or mythtv), but
> it gives a black screen. The first time I saw this, dmesg gave a "device
> stuck" error from pvrusb2. Removing and loading the module didn't fix it,
> nor did rebooting the computer, but power cycling the capture device did. I
> was able to play /dev/video0 with mplayer, but when I tried to record with
> mythtv I got a black recording again. No error message was reported the
> second time.
>
> I'm using the firmware extracted from the driver CD.

   [...]

> Not sure what to try ... maybe go back to the firmware from isely.net? Seems
> the version shipped with the device would be best, but it would be something
> to try.

Software normally doesn't "break" by itself - if it was working before
and you didn't change anything then it should keep working.  (Well this
isn't quite true; MS software seems able to break by itself...)

If it was working before and now it isn't you have to ask yourself what
has changed?  Also, generally if it works at all - even briefly - then
the software is probably OK and you have some other sort of problem.

Based on your description it sounds like the FX2 in the device itself is
crashing.  Of course that should *never* happen and there's really no
way for the pvrusb2 driver to cause that, short of downloading corrupted
FX2 firmware - but even then if it's working briefly then the firmware
is probably just fine.

I'd probably turn my attention to other possible causes for the device
to crash.

Is it getting too hot?  (Having it work for a short time before crashing
each time is something that can be caused by heat.)  I've never heard of
an HVR-1950 actually overheating, but the other PVR-USB2 models
sometimes had this sort of issue.  I learned of one case years ago where
a user had stacked 4 PVR-USB2 devices inside a closed box with no
ventilation, and that eventually caused the hardware to die from
overheating.

Is it possible that it's getting hit by power spikes?  Remember that
your device is getting power from its own little power brick and that
brick isn't anywhere near as resilient against power line flakiness as
your PC's internal power supply will be.  I have heard of numerous cases
where power glitches in the nearby environment (e.g. A/C compressor
turning on in the house) will crash your capture device.  You could try
moving it to a different circuit, putting it behind a surge protector,
or (best choice) plugging it into a UPS.  If any of that helps then the
problem is dirty power.

Another possibility is that the power brick itself is failing, drifting
out of tolerance.  This was exactly the problem a while back with the
Silicon Dust HD HomeRun tuners - they had a bad batch of power bricks
which would fail after a few months.  Now, I have *NOT* heard of that
happening here with Hauppauge, but power bricks frequently are a weak
spot with externally powered devices.

One big lesson I learned years ago when I was messing with TTL circuits
(yes it was a LONG time ago) - if the circuit is misbehaving then always
suspect the power first.

Can you run the tuner successfully under *cough* Windows *cough*?  If
there really is some kind of external problem that's killing the tuner,
then the answer to that question should be "no".