[pvrusb2] Tuner problems

Jim Peters jiminycricket180 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 17:23:34 CDT 2011

My backend has 6 tuners a pvr150 a pvr350 and 4 wintv pvr usb tuners. I am
having problems with 2 of the wintv pvr tuners.
1 of them just quits/dies on me, it records blank videos when this happens (0
byte files)when this happens I just reboot the backend and everything works fine
again for a while (I have actually made a cron job that runs every 4 hours to
reboot the server if no recordings/comflaging/mediawatching is going on) this
is a temporary fix that doesn't work well because I still get quite a few blank
recordings from this tuner, so I would like to fix it.
The other one has a screen flickering problem, it will flicker badly for a
couple minutes then clear up for a few seconds and flicker some more. It looks
somewhat like the old horizontal roll of old (really telling my age now!) but
with digital attributes (chunks of the picture in the wrong place and stuff) I
have this tuner set as the last tuner in the system so it hasn't been a big
problem but between my wife learning how to use mythtv for her stuff, and an
increased recording schedule on my part, it was the tuner that was used for
stargate universe last week..... so now we have a problem that needs fixed!
Anyway my big problem is that I have no clue as to where to start looking for
answers for these problems. what log files to look at or any special debugging
steps i can take to get info that might be useful to figure this out. any help
would be appreciated. Thanks