[pvrusb2] HVR-1950 initialization of TDA829x not working in latest V4L pvrusb2 driver?

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sat Feb 5 10:30:12 CST 2011

On Fri, 4 Feb 2011, Boyd G. Gafford Ph.D. wrote:

   [...]

> So I guess my question is, does anyone know what might have changed about the
> initialization of the TDA829x and TDA18271 that broke the pvrusb2 driver in
> this fashion?  I'm hoping it was already fixed and the V4L version of the
> pvrusb2 driver has just not been updated yet on linuxtv.org.  For that matter
> I'm not yet sure if its some other code that is called on by the pvrusb2
> module.  If that's the case, please excuse my ignorance, as I've not dived
> into the source code very deeply (yet).
>
> If the answer is no, this is a new bug, I guess I'll dive in and see if I can
> figure out what changed between the pvrusb2 code in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and the
> latest off linuxtv.org, and post back a new message (in a few days) with what
> I did to fix it.

Hi Boyd,

The problem you are contending with appears to be in the tuner driver,
not the pvrusb2 driver itself.  The architecture of all drivers in
v4l-dvb is that there are separate "sub-device" drivers that handle each
of the various parts (e.g. tuner, video digitizing, audio processing,
IR, mpeg encoding, etc) on the device.  All of these drivers are
coordinated through a common bridge driver which also facilitates
communication to the individual chips and implements device-level state.
The pvrusb2 driver is a bridge driver.  When you switched kernel
versions you not only switched between bridge driver versions but you
also moved to different versions of all the sub-device drivers as well.

The message you spotted in the dmesg output - where the tuner type isn't
recognized - comes from the tuner sub-device driver.  And unfortunately
I've gotten the impression that this particular sub-device driver has
undergone a lot of thrashing.  You might want to focus your attention on
that, in particular use git to look back through its change history for
clues of what might have changed there...