[pvrusb2] Terratec Grabster AV400 and 2.6.37

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sat Feb 5 10:34:34 CST 2011

On Sat, 5 Feb 2011, Sven Barth wrote:

> Hi again!
>
> I could pinpoint the source of the problem in the cx25840 module (it's volume
> related... something the cx25837 chip on the AV400 does not support), so I'll
>
> But now that I've (again) patched the cx25840 module I can use the AV400
> without audio problems on my PC. :D
>

> As I hope that this regression will be fixed soon, what needs to be tested so
> that the AV400 will become a part of the in-kernel version?
> I have used the composite part of the device for months now without any
> problems. I'll need to test S-video, but so far I'm totally satisfied with the
> device (it runs better than on Windows).

Basically I'd like to verify that all the inputs (audio and video
routing configuration) work correctly; if I remember correctly that was
really the part of the port that we weren't sure about.  I can't do that
myself because I don't have access to the hardware.  You do - I can help
you understand the routing mechanism, and if you can generate a patch
and verify that it all works, then I will pull it into the driver.

Changes that might be needed to the cx25840 driver is outside the scope
of the pvrusb2 driver, but we can get those submitted to the v4l-dvb
tree provided the changes don't regress other aspects of that driver.
Regression testing cx25840 is a serious pain - I can only verify that it
continues to work correctly with pvrusb2-driven devices but this part is
used by a lot of other drivers so it's kind of a crap-shoot to ensure
real stability there across everything when there's a change that looks
like it might be a problem in other contexts.