[pvrusb2] First take on a chinese oem capture card with FX2 and cx25843

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Fri Jan 28 21:24:00 CST 2011

Svenn:

There are a number of different cards I've heard about that pair an FX2
microcontroller with a cx25843.  Unfortunately none of them are going to
work with the pvrusb2 driver, since the pvrusb2 driver at its core is
looking for that mpeg encoder chip.  The mystery chip in that photo is
interesting - somebody went to the trouble to erase the markings from
that chip.  However it can't be the mpeg encoder - such a chip will have
a dram interface and there just aren't enough pins there.

Even if the pvrusb2 driver were to support raw mode (which perhaps
someday it might), any implementation is probably still going to expect
to shovel the bits through the encoder.  I've learned a few things about
how this is probably possible; basically it amounts to putting the
encoder into a different mode.  It would still be packetizing the data
but it would be in a form that could then be made available as raw from
the pvrusb2 driver's API - this is needed because audio still has to be
interleaved.  Long story, but the takeaway is that the encoder chip is
still involved.

It might be an interesting exercise to further improve the pvrusb2
driver to handle cards like you're describing.  The fact is that much of
the scaffolding is going to be the same - there is after all an FX2
there and I imagine RPC style communication still going on.  But this is
a very big deal to implement and I have to think that by now there's
likely another v4l-dvb driver that already does this.

  -Mike