[pvrusb2] Remote dies when upgrading to 2.6.38 from 2.6.36 on HVR-1900

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sat Jul 9 21:05:28 CDT 2011

On Sat, 9 Jul 2011, Nicholas Robbins wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I've had the remote working for some time, but today when I tried to
> upgrade my kernel to 2.6.38 from 2.6.36, the remote stopped working.
> Plugging the device in no longer produces a /dev/lirc0.Also there are
> no comments from lirc in the system log when the device is plugged
> in.
>
> The only thing I can find is that there is no longer a v4l1 compatibility option in the newer kernels.
>
> Could that be the problem?

LIRC doesn't depend on the V4L ioctl-based API.  It expects instead to
install a kernel driver which ties into the I2C bus API exported by the
bridge driver (e.g. pvrusb2).

However that I2C API has undergone some changes of late.  There have
been some recent changes to the pvrusb2 driver within the kernel needed
to stay in sync with these changes.  I'd be willing to bet that this is
what has caused the problem.  This unfortunately creates issues for
out-of-tree drivers when the kernel APIs they are using becomes a moving
target.

Try looking for a later version of LIRC.  Odds are that a later release
of the package already tracks this - or there very soon will be a
release that will catch up.