[pvrusb2] No data from HVR-1900 encoder

Magnus Ekhall koma at lysator.liu.se
Thu Jun 16 16:28:07 CDT 2011

Hello,

I'm using the pvrusb2 driver (excellent work by the way!) to use a
Hauppauge HVR-1900 model 73xxx.

The driver identifies the tuner (TDA18271HD/C2), the demodulator
(cx25840) at boot and generally everything works great.

However approx. once per week something odd happens. When mythtv tries
to use the analogue tuner there is no data coming out of /dev/video0.

Not even if I cat /dev/video0 I get anything in that case.

I've even tried to reload the pvrusb2 driver and yanking the USB-cable.

The only thing that works is a reboot.

Now, that sounds a bit like the mystery bug written on the FAQ, but I'm
not sure.

Also, I know that pvrusb2 is sort of a higher level driver which uses
sub-drivers, so maybe I'm at the wrong forum here...

Anyway, the problem is really annoying, so any input is most welcome!

In the kernel log there are a message that I believe might have
something to do with the issue:

"
May  1 08:49:33 digimatrix kernel: [383494.928478] pvrusb2:
***WARNING*** device's encoder appears to be stuck (status=0x00000003)
May  1 08:49:33 digimatrix kernel: [383494.928485] pvrusb2: Encoder
command: 0x81
May  1 08:49:33 digimatrix kernel: [383494.928489] pvrusb2: Giving up on
command.  This is normally recovered via a firmware reload and
re-initialization; concern is only warranted if this happens repeatedly
and rapidly.
"

I don't know how to reload the firmware and do a re-initialization. I
assume a modprobe -r would do that? In that case this does not help me.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Regards,
Magnus