[pvrusb2] Persistent device nodes

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at computer.org
Sat Apr 21 03:16:02 CDT 2012

Hi there.

My cable operator is forcing me to go digital, by discontinuing my
favourite channels on the analogue side.  I have four HVR-1900 tuners,
two of which I intend to hook up to STBs while the other two will remain
on the analogue side.

So I now have the problem of device name persistency for the first time.
Certainly in terms of the /dev/video* device nodes, but since I'd also
like to use the IR blaster capabilities of the HVR-1900 to control the
STBs I also have the problem in respect of the LIRC device nodes.

I was wondering if I really have to attack this problem via udev, or
whether the problem might already have been solved for me by the
availability of links to the device nodes under /sys/class/pvrusb2/sn-*

Since there are circular references I can't just find /sys/class/pvrusb2
-L -type l or type c

Thanks, Jan