[pvrusb2] new kernel breaks hauppuage pvrusb2 and hvr-1950 with mythtv

Daniel Woo danielw148 at att.net
Wed Dec 19 15:21:42 CST 2012

Hi everybody,

I can't seem to get a 3.x linux kernel to work with the hauppauge pvrusb2 or hvr-1950. There's a lot of posts that these two capture devices work with linux and mythtv, but I can't find a combo that works. I can get tv-viewer to work, but I want a complete dvr. Do I have to go back to a 2.x kernel? Can anyone tell me the exact versions of linux kernel, mythtv, and the usbpvr2.ko that work together? Preferrably a 2.x kernel?

after
sudo chmod 0777 /dev/video0
restart backend
restart frontend

ubuntu 12.04 hvr-1950
backend reports us-cable LOCKED during channel scan and finds no channels
frontend only flickers screen after clicking watch tv

ubuntu 10.10 usbpvr2
backend scans for channels correctly
frontend error: mythtv is using all inputs after clicking watch tv

dmesg at

I can get the pvrusb2 to work with mythtv on mythbuntu 10.04.

I can't get the hvr1950 to work with mythtv on mythbuntu 10.04. I've used both 16k and 8k fx2 firmware with no luck. Backend can find the hvr-1950, but channel scan finds no cable channels. Any suggestions on what's broken?
I recompiled the pvrusb2 driver (required headers from v4l) and installed it correctly, but still have the same problem.
I tried to recompile v4l-dvb, but it wouldn't install to the kernel directory, so the kernel kept using the old drivers. It kept installing to /lib/modules/2.6.32.60+drm33.26 instead of /lib/modules/2.6.32-45-generic-pae. Does anyone know how to get it to install correctly or how to manually install it?
I have cable with analog channels 2-70 and digital channels for my local channels. I haven’t tried the digital tuner yet. I'm not using a listings grabber yet.

I want to try mythbuntu 10.10 and 11.04 but the iso images are gone from the ubuntu server. Anyone know where I can get them?

Thanks for running this mailing list,
Daniel