[pvrusb2] PVR USB2 - how to check if it's dead? [SOLVED]

Helmut Jarausch jarausch at skynet.be
Thu Dec 20 07:43:57 CST 2012

On 12/19/2012 04:40:08 PM, Mike Isely wrote:
> Do you have mplayer laying around somewhere?  I think you need to try
> the scenario that I know should always work.  Then we can expand out
> from that:
>
> 1. Plug in the device.
>
> 2. Attach a video source to the composite (or s-video) input.  For
> example a DVD player...
>
> 3. Use the sysfs interface to ensure that the input is selected as
> composite (or s-video if that's what you're using).
>
> 4. Now do: "cat /dev/video0 >/tmp/foo.mpg", wait about 10 seconds then
> interrupt it.  (Note: If you have multiple V4L2 devices attached then
> it
> might /dev/video1 or something similar instead of /dev/video0.)
>
> 5. Is /tmp/foo.mpg non-zero in length?  Does "mplayer /tmp/foo.mpg"
> work?
>
> That exact scenario I've done countless times in the past.  If it
> works
> for you as well, then we can start throwing in other things until it
> breaks, and then see what's different.  If it doesn't work for you,
> then
> there's either something wrong in your setup (which right now seems
> unlikely) or there's new breakage that I have to investigate.

Hi Mike,

that was my testing all the time.

Now, I've traced xawtv step for step.
The single control which is needed by my device to even produce a
single byte
of output on /dev/video0 is

v4l2-ctl -s "pal"

i.e. setting the video standard to PAL.

Is there any means to set this without v4l2-ctl ?

Here, I do not have
/sys/class/pvrusb2/sn-8039400/ctl_video_standard

only

bus_info_str
ctl_audio_bitrate
ctl_audio_crc