[pvrusb2] new kernel breaks hauppuage pvrusb2 and hvr-1950 withmythtv

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Dec 23 22:48:48 CST 2012

I've done a bunch of simple tests.  I have tested an HVR-1950 and an
older 24xxx pvrusb2 model.  I've tried this under vanilla kernel
versions 3.2.6, 3.4.4, 3.5.7, 3.6.1, and 3.7.1.

To keep things simple, I've just used the sysfs interface to control the
device, while cat'ing /dev/video0 to /tmp/foo.mpg and then playing back
/tmp/foo.mpg with mplayer.  (This is usually what I've done in the past
to suss out actual driver issues.)  By staging through a file, any
real-time delays due to noise, timing, etc won't affect mplayer which is
a problem I've seen in the past.

I haven't tried digital mode (i.e. ATSC reception) on the HVR-1950 yet;
I've been focusing on analog mode.  But I tested composite, s-video, and
"television" inputs.

In all cases, I just used the pvrusb2 driver version bundled with the
kernel.  I did not try to replace the driver or any of the V4L-DVB
subsystem code with customized stuff.

Results?  Every single case so far works fine.

I didn't go back to retest 2.6.x kernels but, the last time I tried
those with their in-kernel pvrusb2 drivers, they were all fine.  It's
just that I haven't done a lot of testing yet with the 3.x kernel series
and wanted to be sure.  And so far no issues.

Given all of the above, I have to think that there's something screwy
with your mythtv config or that you are talking about an ATSC issue
(which I haven't tested for yet).  As for tv-viewer not working with
2.6.x kernels for you, I don't have an answer for that.  All I can say
there is that I know the tv-viewer author uses the pvrusb2 driver as one
of his regression cases (in fact I think he started that project because
there really wasn't a good application aside from mythtv that could take
advantage of what a pvrusb2-driven device can offer).  And the last time
I tried tv-viewer, it was in fact with a late 2.6.x kernel and it worked
fine there.

I can certainly try more tests to isolate what's going on (but mythtv is
a REALLY big pain to set up on a standalone test box so I'd rather avoid
that if I can).  Given everything above, can you add anything that I
might be able to use to help reproduce your problem?