[pvrusb2] Looking for "dvb-fe-tda10048-1.0.fw" firmware

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Wed Feb 1 21:08:07 CST 2012

On Thu, 2 Feb 2012, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 01:19, Roger <rogerx.oss at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm sure the majority of the public is also not aware of it at this point.
>
> I would agree that the majority of the public is not aware of
> what the script can do.  Most of the public is not aware of
> the script period.  That said, when I pulled down the script
> I read through it, and was able to determine its capabilities
> with little effort(*) (I even emailed some new offsets for a new
> version of the driver from Hauppauge (same firmwire, just
> new offsets as I recall) to Mike, as the script requests).
>
> The script really is a good work by Mike (as are his
> other works).
>
> Gary
>
> (*) I tend to quickly scan scripts I download from the
>     Intertubes to verify that what they say they do
>     seems to be approximately what they seem to be
>     trying to do.

I've written in Perl for many years.  It's a great tool for quickly
throwing something together, but I've got a lot of such tools written
years ago that I can't for the life of me decipher today.  The code is
just too damn messy, another attribute of Perl unfortunately - far too
easy to write spaghetti code.  Ever want to see a 12K+ line Perl
program?  I've got one - a complete network configuration management
system.  Totally unmaintainable.  Yuck...

But I tried to keep this particular script reasonably clean - otherwise
I'd be bogged down with maintenance headaches going forward.  In fact
one of my reasons for why the script is designed this way is totally
selfish - low maintenance overhead and hopefully foolproof operation
since I'm not the only using it.

I will be sending out an updated fwextract.pl with Gary's additional
offsets.  Plus I will integrate a small patch he sent that allows the
script to run in a Windows environment as well (cygwin hosted? Active
Perl?).