[pvrusb2] My tuners occasionally get stuck

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at computer.org
Wed Mar 21 13:46:42 CDT 2012

On 21/03/12 17:09, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> <conjecture>

Understood, and thanks for your insights.

> Almost certainly a kernel usb issue.  The 1900s and the
> APC device are likely victims, not the cause.  These types
> of bug reports (the 'clear tt' ones) with usb devices have a
> tendency to reoccur on some irregular basis as the usb
> subsystem in the kernel gets improved.  Usually the
> problem is patched in the next kernel rev (because others
> have reported it), although sometimes you have to do the
> git bisect to find the patch that was "special" to get it fixed.

Indeed my thoughts align with yours: the tuners are significant USB
traffic generators which are probably more likely than other devices to
expose weaknesses in the kernel USB subsystem. But I did google the
kernel log messages without success (probably because they are so terse).

I recently upgraded from Ubuntu 10.10 to 11.04, and I had this problem
under 10.10 as well. So the problem is not restricted to the 2.6.38
kernel in 11.04.

But I will try a more recent kernel as well before taking it to
linux-usb if I still need to.

Thanks, Jan