[pvrusb2] Hauppauge HVR-1900 - PAL-Nc, no audio

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Mon Apr 8 09:43:05 CDT 2013

Dermot:

Actually I think you were on the right track.

ALSA has nothing to do with capture of audio into the MPEG output file.
Of course, ALSA may have everything to do with playback on your
computer, but if there's already no audio in the MPEG file itself
(easily proven by trying to play the file on multiple different
computers), then ALSA is not involved.

In times past when I've dealt with bugs involving "no captured audio",
the usual suspect was that the pvrusb2 hardware was being told to use
the wrong broadcast standard.  It's possible to choose a standard that
is "close enough" for, say, video to work but not audio.  There are
different modulation standards and frequencies for the embedded audio
and if that is set wrong, then of course there will be no audio.

Making matters somewhat more confusing is that in many cases, the
hardware can successfully guess the correct audio configuration even
when the wrong standard is set.  So you can get cases where, for
example, someone with a 24xxx series device will get working audio using
standard "XYZ" while someone else in the same country but using a 29xxx
device with the same "XYZ" standard still won't hear any audio :-(

The pvrusb2 driver does not directly program the audio configuration in
the capture device.  That job is left to the various chip drivers, e.g.
cx25840.ko in your case.  What the pvrusb2 driver does do however is to
communicate the chosen standard out to the various chip drivers; then it
is up to each chip driver to use that information to create the
appropriate local configuration in the hardware.

I would give odds that the problem involves use of the wrong video
standard.  Unfortunately I can't tell you what the "right" one would be.
But you can certainly experiment with the different choices and see what
might actually work better.  It generally isn't possible to physically
"harm" the hardware with a wrong video standard, so I would encourage
some experimentation...  You can use the pvrusb2 driver's sysfs
interface to get detailed access to all the possible video standards.

You mentioned that msp3400.ko is loaded - ignore that.  It actually
isn't used for the HVR-1900, rather audio processing on the HVR-1900
uses the cx25840.ko driver (which is a combined audio and video
processor).