[pvrusb2] Fun with heat / power [was: (an indescipherable string)]

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sat Jul 13 20:48:42 CDT 2013

(see below)

On Fri, 12 Jul 2013, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 8:24 PM, Jan Brouwer <jan at brewsky.nl> wrote:
> > My unit does get pretty hot... I didn't think of cooling it before, so
> > maybe that would do the trick!
>
> Certain Hauppauge devices have a history of getting hot
> and resetting.  Certain Hauppauge devices also have a
> history of having power supplies going (partially) bad
> (especially if they are a few years old).  Either can cause
> "random crashes".  Since it is (usually) the easiest to
> test (unless your computer is next to the refrigerator :-),
> I always swap out the power supply first.

Yes, this is definitely the case.  In fact, back in prehistory when I
was much more a hardware hacker than a software guy I learned that when
digital circuits misbehave the FIRST thing one should always suspect is
the power supply!

To summarize various previous discussions on this topic, the things I've
seen over the years:

These units do dissipate heat.  If you have it sitting in the open
ambient air (with the room at a normal comfortable temperature) then it
generally should not be a problem.  But if the device is in a closed-up
box where there's no air circulation or if perhaps it's stacked with
other heat-generating devices, then you may have problems with crashes /
resets.  I do remember one specific tale a number of years back where
the user had stacked 3-4 24xxx devices on top of each other and then
stuffed them in a closed box.  That didn't work out so well :-)

I find that people get frequently fooled by bad power.  The issue here
is that normal PC power supplies are in fact very forgiving of bad mains
- typical PC PSUs have large capacitors and a lot of internal
protection.  They're designed to process/condition 300-700 watts without
wasting a lot of energy and it takes a good design to do that.  I've had
PCs actually keep going perfectly even when the building power fails for
a fraction of a second.  The monitor might wink out for a moment but the
PC just keeps truckin' along.

USB-powered devices (well, those not connected to a powered hub...) have
the benefit of drawing power from that nice stable PSU.  But any
peripheral which is self-powered with, say, it's own little power brick
is at a disadvantage.  Power spikes, brown-outs, or just plain saggy
power won't affect the PC but the cheap wall-wart just can't defend
against crap like that.  It doesn't have the same quality of filtering,
and it is just too small to have enough hold-up capacitance to survive a
dropout.  That leads to situations where strangely enough pvrusb2
devices seem to randomly crash while the PC itself is unscathed.
People frequently conclude that the device is flakey when in fact it's
just bad power that can't be compensated by a simplistic power brick.

So people seeing pvrusb2 resets don't immediately suspect bad power
because, well, the PC is not crashing...

Even a surge protector won't help the situation if the problem is
dropouts or sags - surge protectors just block damaging spikes and
filter EMI but they don't store energy to cover glitchy power losses,
even for a fraction of a second.  For that you need a UPS, and one that
is fast enough on switchover to keep from glitching the power brick (I
think most modern UPSes meet that requirement).

One big tip-off of bad power is if you can correlate pvrusb2 crashes
with external electrical events, like say your refrigerator cycling or a
nearby A/C compressor turning on/off.  A sump pump could even glitch
things.  Anything that can suddenly draw (or cease drawing) large loads
can do this.  And inductive loads - like a motor - can really screw with
your power.

And yes, I've seen reports of people who have correlated pvrusb2 crashes
with their A/C compressor cycling on/off.  (Though it has been a few
years...)

You won't be able to analyze bad power with a voltmeter (analog, DMM,
DVM, whatever..).  The events you are looking for will be too fast and
the meter is usually filtered internally for slower (more readable)
response.  If you really want to look for glitches, use an oscilloscope
- but BE CAREFUL - you're messing with high voltage + high current which
can seriously injure or kill you.  You can blow up the scope if you get
the grounding wrong!  Actually it would be safer instead to 'scope it
indirectly - say look at the output of a doorbell transformer wired to
the mains.  Then at least it's isolated, current-limited 24VAC instead
of 120VAC or 240VAC (depending obviously on your country's power grid).

Anyway, if you suspect bad power, one easy test for this is just to plug
the pvrusb2 device's power brick into a UPS.  If you suspect heat
issues, try just using a simple desk fan to blow air across the top for
a while.  If either experiment changes the behavior then you know you're
onto something.