[pvrusb2] Some install guidance on WinTV PVR2 USB

Roger rogerx.oss at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 23:41:08 CDT 2013

> On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 06:54:33PM -0700, Lorne Shantz wrote:
>I meant like when I'm playing tvtime, or xawtv... Getting the audio to play through the speakers can be a challenge. I've had it working in the past, so hopefully I can figure it out. :)
>
>This was MUCH easier than it was several years ago for sure! Thanks to all for the reminders.

It has always been this easy for about five to eight years for these older
29xxx devices.  You just likely didn't know the device required external
firmwares.  You can tell by the dating of the ivtv packages how long those have
been likely available.

As far as the audio, the PVRUSB2 2900 device is an analog tuner with a
composite video input, outputing a MPEG stream via /dev/video0 with both audio
and video.

Merrily echo the proper value into sysfs to switch between composite input,
analog TV tuner input, or analog FM tuner.

XawTV is for tuning the analog tuner for analog US (NTSC) TV if you're within
the US.  Likely only good for the remote low power analog stations or tuning
into amateur radio enthusiasts sporadic transmissions, as almost all stations
have converted to digital (ATSC) transmissions.

The one really good thing about the PVRUSB2 29xxx devices, is the working
analog FM tuner.  The FM tuner is included within the analog TV tuner as it's a
similar frequency.

Going from memory, again echo'ing the proper value into sysfs switches TV, FM,
or composite inputs.

Have fun.

--
Roger