[pvrusb2] recent problem: getting frontend status failed

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 18:09:34 CDT 2014

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 3:16 AM,  <isely at isely.net> wrote:

> There have been problems with heat in the past involving the older
> Hauppage devices.  This would be the first time I've heard of
> heat-related trouble from an OnAir device.

As devices age, not all components age gracefully.
I do not recall any Hauppauge device that did not
eventually have heat related issues either in the
device itself, or the power supply brick/adapter.

While the OnAir devices may be designed differently,
the power supply brick/adapter is probably just one
more of the usual lowest cost supplier devices,
and they are likely to (eventually) produce poor
quality power as they age.  And random power
produces random failures.

Full disclosure: I replace all my Hauppauge (and
other) power supply bricks/adapters with higher
quality switching supplies from reputable
manufactures as a matter of course.  I take my
power seriously (and I have a local electronics
supply store where I can pick those supplies up
easily and (reasonably) cheaply).

Just for fun, I would try replacing the adapter with
something of the same voltage/polarity, and the
same or larger amperage(*).  Sometimes it is the
simple things that work.

Gary

(*) Or, for less fun, and more engineering, use
a Fluke power quality meter on the supply.  If
you just happen to have one of those $3000
meters lying around the residence, that is.