[pvrusb2] Hauppauge HVR-1950 Not Locking Signals Less Than 60%?

Roger rogerx.oss at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 14:18:07 CST 2015

I'm curious if anybody is seeing the Hauppauge HVR-1950 not locking onto or
finding locally broadcasted ATSC channels having a signal less than
approximately 60%?

For signal strength, I've been using dvbv5-scan.

dvbscan (or dvbv5-scan) tends to show the signal reaching 30-60%, and then
dropping.  Sometimes, turning off the LED display temporarily resolves this,
but is not repetitively resolving the problem.

My one to two year old Samsung televisions have had no real problems locking
and recieving ATSC channels as weak as those having 10-20%.

I did initially have some EMI or interference on a particular VHF channel, and
this particular signal would bounce between 30% and 80% whenever the computer
was turned on.  I recently replaced the Corsair power supply under warranty and
additionally placed snap-on ferrite cable snaps onto the TV power cables, which
seems to have resolved any issues with the television interference.

My current location is in Ohio, being about 30 miles from the transmitter
towers.  Using a Channel Master amplifier and pre-amplifier with the television
antenna mounted up in a tree.  Prior being in Alaska, I was only 5-10 miles
from the transmitter towers with again, an aerial exterior mounted antenna.

So, I'm guessing my USB connected HVR-1950 either;
1) Never was able to find and lock onto signals having a signal strength less
than 60% (ie. engineering issue) or,
2) The HVR-1950 (or HVR-1950 power supply) is now malfunctioning.

I have just ordered an internal Linux compatible earlier  Hauppauge TV tuner
card, containing a different manufacturer TV tuner chip.  Will report back with
the results next week.

--
Roger
http://rogerx.freeshell.org/