[pvrusb2] WinTV HVR-1975 (with official drivers) failing to load firmware

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Sat Sep 17 22:01:22 CDT 2016

On Sat, Sep 17, 2016 at 09:55:33PM -0500, isely at isely.net wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Sep 2016, Ian Goldberg wrote:
>

> > Hauppauge a little while back posted the #3 thing (that used to require
> > the NDA) to their web page, no more NDA required.  So #2 and #3 are the
> > same thing now.
> >
> > That thing is a *patch* to the kernel mainline pvrusb2 driver.  To
> > install it, one has to download the kernel source, apply the patch
> > (which applied perfectly cleanly), and rebuild.
> >
> > You can look at the patch yourself:
> > http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/software/linux/linux-ubuntu-14-04-2.tar.xz
>
> Got it.  And looked at it.
>
> This is interesting, if #2 is what #3 used to be, then when #3 existed
> it was DEFINITELY a copyright infringement - because they would have
> been combining my GPL'ed code with their changes and then hiding it all
> behind an NDA.  Very, very uncool.

To be fair, I never did the NDA thing myself, of course; I'm just
assuming it was the same because of the note on this page:

https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-1950

It sounds from there like the NDA got you a kernel patch (maybe this
very one, but maybe not).

> So I at least hope you're right that #3 is history and #2 is the
> present.  Still need to hear from them about that patch's licensing
> status before I can try to merge anything :-(

I received one useful response from support at hauppauge.com a while back,
but haven't received a reply from them about this particular issue.

   - Ian