[pvrusb2] Noise

isely at isely.net isely at isely.net
Sun Apr 21 07:54:55 CDT 2019

Jan:

That's an odd symptom.  Getting audio from an RF signal actually has a
longer processing path than audio from the line-in port.  In fact,
there should be very little (if anything) involved with the line-in port
that isn't also involved with processing audio from an RF signal.  In
either of those two cases, the audio is processed by a separate chip
(cx25840 IIRC) and the result of that is what is fed into the mpeg
encoder chip.  Once past the cx25840, there's no difference in the
datapath.

There's a separate driver for the cx25840, which the pvrusb2 driver
employs, which is part of the v4l2 subsystem as a whole, so any problem
involving audio like you describe should also be likely with any other
video capture driver that also happens to use a cx25840.  I know this
isn't being very helpful, but it does suggest that looking for other
online chatter involving that part might reveal another clue.

  -Mike