[pvrusb2] Noise

isely at isely.net isely at isely.net
Sun Apr 21 11:49:33 CDT 2019

Some things about firmware...

First, when comparing firmware versions, it is more reliable to compare
md5 sums than just modification date and file size.  The modification
date is effectively meaningless and there are versions floating around
that have the same size.

Second, while the pvrusb2 driver web site is, well, quite long in the
tooth, everything there about dealing with firmware should still be
valid (well maybe except the part about ivtvdriver.org - I don't manage
that site and I have looked there in years).  Keep reading...

Third, there is a tool you can grab, called fwextract.pl (yes written in
perl, long before I learned python...) that does an intelligent job of
physically extracting useable firmware images straight out of the
windows driver package that would have come with your device.  The tool
works via extensive use (some might say abuse) of md5 sums to locate and
verify specific firmware images.  While you can of course just use
whatever you find on the net or that came with your distro, if you want
to use the exact firmware images that came with your hardware, you can
always use fwextract.pl to get at it.  This page includes a discussion
about using that tool:

http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2/setup.html#Firmware

The reason I bring up this last bit is that I believe for the HVR-1950
the cx25840 firmware needed for it may conflict with the cx25840
firmware needed for other devices and that the common one(s) floating
around might be a problem for the HVR-1950.  This was something I had
become aware of shortly before I had stopped working on the driver and
never really learned the full story.  So if there's any question about
what is the "right" cx25840 firmware image to use, the answer may very
well be just to use fwextract.pl on your hardware's bundled driver
package and therefore get the same precise version that was intended for
that hardware when run under Windows.

BTW, if you look at fwextract.pl itself, you will see a data table
listing all the firmware images it "knows" about, complete with md5
sums.  You can, if you want, compare that with md5 sums of the firmware
images you happen to be using.  That will at least tell you if we know
the pvrusb2 driver has been used with the firmware you are trying.

Note that for the pvrusb2 driver there is not just one firmware image.
There are multiple parts in the hardware that each need firmware images.
The exact needs depend upon the model of course.  The web page I linked
above has more information on that.

  -Mike