[pvrusb2] Ability to fully reset a PVRUSB2 Device

Diego Rivera diego.rivera.cr at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 14:33:40 CDT 2019

Hi!

I realize it's been MANY years since you've messed with this driver, but I figured why not ask? If
there's a better place/person to send this to, please let me know and I'll be glad to go knock on
that door instead!

Here goes: I have a system with two WinTV-HVR-1950 devices (long story, still use analog cable here)
which I've managed to get working with TVHeadend to supply Analog TV support via the digital
platform (yay, me! ☺).

However, I'm running into a problem due likely to the age of one of the devices (probably starting
to get wonky).  Every so often one of the devices ceases to function and just "dies".  It needs to
be physically disconnected (or the machine rebooted) to get back to working order. I've tried many
approaches to reset the USB bus or the device itself via software but none of them seem to work:

* If I try "modprobe -r pvrusb2" I get the error that the module is in use (but I have no user
processes actively using any of the pvrusb2 devices! I've made sure!).
* If I try to issue USBDEVFS_DISCONNECT or USBDEVFS_RESET commands via IOCTL, neither works and a
reboot is now required.
* If I try to reset the whole USB bus via /sys/bus/pci/drivers/?hci_hcd/unbind and bind, it doesn't
work and a reboot is now required
* If I try to use /sys/bus/usb/drivers/pvrusb2/unbind and bind, it does'nt work and a reboot is now
required

In the last 3 cases, syslog ends up littered with the message "pvrusb2: Attempted to execute control
transfer when device not ok", output continually regardless of any attempt to rebind.  This suggests
that once the device is "not ok" (dead?), the driver doesn't attempt to clean it up (should it?)

Is there any other way to force a full reset and reinitialization of a pvrusb2 device via software
without actually having to disconnect/reconnect the device or reboot the machine?

Thanks!

--

Diego Rivera