[pvrusb2] Ability to fully reset a PVRUSB2 Device

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 11:48:10 CDT 2019

On Sat, Mar 16, 2019 at 4:06 PM Diego Rivera <diego.rivera.cr at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Every so often one of the devices ceases to function and just "dies".

It has been a long long time since I touched one of
those, but I would always look at the root causes
of the hangs first.....

The two most common issues with the HVR-1950
that I ran into is that it can overheat (and hang)
and the power supply can be going bad (and the
device hangs).

For the first, I found avoiding stacking them (which
I had been doing) was sufficient to avoid overheating
(although your location may vary and you may need
active airflow), and for the second, I replaced the
power adapter.  FWIW, I don't think any of the
power adapters that I ever got from Hauppauge
were of good quality, and I usually just replaced them
pro-actively with a high quality switching supply
(at the time I had a local source of delta branded
oem switching supplies that were dirt cheap and
new in box).  Note that you typically can't just use
a VOM on the adapter to test, you have to put the
adapter under load and look at the ripple.  Usually
just easier to replace the power supply.

And none of this was actually in response to
the question you asked...