[pvrusb2] Occasional audio issue with recordings

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at computer.org
Sun Nov 10 04:54:18 CST 2019

On 05/11/2019 16:40, Mike Isely wrote:
> In general you are correct that it is not possible to unload a module
> when it's being used by another module.  That would cause linkage issues
> and a likely crash if it were allowed.
>
> However the V4L cases here are different, for pretty much all of these
> chip-level drivers.

I only just got 'round to testing this, and rmmod won't allow me to
remove the cx25840 module, not even by adding the -f option.

root at dracor:~# rmmod cx25840
rmmod: ERROR: Module cx25840 is in use

root at dracor:~# rmmod -f cx25840
rmmod: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod-module.c:793
kmod_module_remove_module() could not remove 'cx25840': Resource
temporarily unavailable
rmmod: ERROR: could not remove module cx25840: Resource temporarily
unavailable

... which is true: it's being used by modules v4l2_common and media. And
v4l2_common is itself used by pvrusb2 so cannot be unloaded until the
bugfix trickles down.

Thanks, Jan