[pvrusb2] Ability to fully reset a PVRUSB2 Device

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Sep 22 13:40:50 CDT 2019

On Sun, 14 Apr 2019, Diego Rivera wrote:

> Guinea pig #1 ready, sir! 😂
>
> --
>
> Diego Rivera

Diego:

Going back over this thread and comparing my recent notes, there's a
good experiment I'd like you to try:  Get the hardware into a state
where you get the "Attempted to execute control transfer when device not
ok" infinite log spew.  Once you've confirmed the scenario again, reboot
the host and then rename the ir-kbd-i2c.ko module to something which
disables it.  You can find this module in the following path:

/lib/modules/`uname -r`/krtnrl/drivers/media/i2c/

A good thing to do would be to just add "-disabled" to the end of the
file name.  Then run "depmod -a" to rebuild the module dependencies
(should take a few seconds) and now the ir-kbd-i2c module will be
disabled.  On the off-chance that it has already been loaded, also run
"modprobe -r ir_kbd_ic2" (or just reboot again).  NOW, run that same
scenario where you get the log spew as mentioned above.  Is that still
happening?  Also, if it isn't still happening, does "modprobe -r
pvrusb2" still get stuck?

The reason I ask is because that's what I am seeing here.  That
ir-kbd-i2c here is the source of the endless stream of failing I2C
requests into the pvrusb2 driver.  I want to make sure we're looking at
the same bug.  I've got roughly 3 misbehaviors on my plate right now.
This is one of them.

There was an earlier mention of a kernel panic when trying to remove the
pvrusb2 driver from the system.  While I am seeing kernel oopses from
this - due to sysfs doing something unexpected - it is not panicing.
So I have not yet seen that specific problem.  I'd like to know what
exact kernel was being run (distro / uname -r output / .config would
help too).