[pvrusb2] Mythtv hangs on livetv

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue Dec 13 17:07:19 CST 2005

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Julio Arruda wrote:

> From a couple of tests I did few weeks ago, is not exactly MythTV hanging..
> It seems when you start to 'read' from the livetv buffer (or from the
> blablabal .nuv 'non-live' recordings in my case also, while they are being
> recorded),the pvrusb2 driver can't read from the PVRUS2 box anymore.

Are you seeing any log messages from the driver which might suggest this?

If you go back to an older driver snapshot does the problem still happen?

If you cat /dev/video0 (or whatever your /dev name is), does it fail
there?

If you try mplayer /dev/video0 (or whatever your /dev name is), does it
also fail there?

Diagnosing a problem like this is a matter of searching out clues and
ruling out common causes.  Though the pvrusb2 driver has had some recent
changes, they are largely cosmetic in nature, so I would expect bugs
introduced by such changes to NOT be subtle.  (The buffering code in
particular has not changed at all.)  On the other hand I have learned over
time that MythTV is an unending source of stability headaches - stuff that
works one week stops working in a future snapshot.  Somebody here recently
said that he's using a recent snapshot because "now it's possible to watch
a recording while it's being recorded" - well I've been doing that with
version 0.18.1 since last May so I guess this was something that had been
broken and since reintroduced as a new feature.

Anyway, rather than laying blame here, what really needs to happen is that
we have to rule things out.  If for example somebody can demonstrate the
hang with mplayer, then MythTV will have been ruled out.  On the other
hand if mplayer continues to be stable, if you can "cat" the video for
hours on end, and if xawtv is stable (well, at least if it is as stable as
it usually is), then that might point the finger at MythTV.  Along with
that, if you can extract suspicious entries in your kernel log from the
pvrusb2 driver (like for example the driver complaining about timeouts to
the hardware), then that's a solid clue suggesting a driver and/or a
hardware problem.

The only clues I see so far are in the log that Roger sent, and it is
pretty suggestive of some kind of clash between MythTV and the X server he
is running.

I'll keep an eye out for problems on my end, but so far I haven't seen any
(well I haven't seen any *new* problems).

We need more information here.