[pvrusb2] Mythtv hangs on livetv

Julio Arruda julio_arruda at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 13 18:26:14 CST 2005

Mike Isely wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Julio Arruda wrote:
>
>> From a couple of tests I did few weeks ago, is not exactly MythTV
>> hanging..
>> It seems when you start to 'read' from the livetv buffer (or from the
>> blablabal .nuv 'non-live' recordings in my case also, while they are
>> being recorded),the pvrusb2 driver can't read from the PVRUS2 box
>> anymore.
>

> Are you seeing any log messages from the driver which might suggest this?
>
> If you go back to an older driver snapshot does the problem still happen?
>
> If you cat /dev/video0 (or whatever your /dev name is), does it fail there?
>
> If you try mplayer /dev/video0 (or whatever your /dev name is), does it
> also fail there?

Can't help a lot right now on this, had to remove all my gear from the
"production" mythtv box..I'll need to reinstall the PVRUSB2, but in
fact, the combination I had was a little more complex (video0 is an
existing pvr150 running in the same box). I have another box where
(having the time) I should be able to install the pvrusb2 box (sadly
with USB1.1 in this case) and test it there.

> Diagnosing a problem like this is a matter of searching out clues and
> ruling out common causes.  Though the pvrusb2 driver has had some recent
> changes, they are largely cosmetic in nature, so I would expect bugs
> introduced by such changes to NOT be subtle.  (The buffering code in
> particular has not changed at all.)  On the other hand I have learned
> over time that MythTV is an unending source of stability headaches -
> stuff that works one week stops working in a future snapshot.  Somebody
> here recently said that he's using a recent snapshot because "now it's
> possible to watch a recording while it's being recorded" - well I've
> been doing that with version 0.18.1 since last May so I guess this was
> something that had been broken and since reintroduced as a new feature.

This 'watching a recording while it's being recorded' in fact would be a
good description of what I saw, looking like the trigger, but I'll need
sometime to try it again.

> Anyway, rather than laying blame here, what really needs to happen is
> that we have to rule things out.  If for example somebody can
> demonstrate the hang with mplayer, then MythTV will have been ruled
> out.  On the other hand if mplayer continues to be stable, if you can
> "cat" the video for hours on end, and if xawtv is stable (well, at least
> if it is as stable as it usually is), then that might point the finger
> at MythTV.  Along with that, if you can extract suspicious entries in
> your kernel log from the pvrusb2 driver (like for example the driver
> complaining about timeouts to the hardware), then that's a solid clue
> suggesting a driver and/or a hardware problem.
>
> The only clues I see so far are in the log that Roger sent, and it is
> pretty suggestive of some kind of clash between MythTV and the X server
> he is running.
>
> I'll keep an eye out for problems on my end, but so far I haven't seen
> any (well I haven't seen any *new* problems).
>
> We need more information here.

Sure, I agree 100%, reproduce and isolate the problem to the 'simpler
config where it will happen' should help :-), I will try to get it done
during the next 'maintenance window' here :-)
BTW, amazing work in the pvrusb2 driver, it is just the perfect matching
to a small form factor pvr with several tuners :-).