[pvrusb2] Mythtv hangs on livetv

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Tue Dec 13 21:37:34 CST 2005

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Julio Arruda wrote:

> Mike Isely wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Julio Arruda wrote:
>>

> Can't help a lot right now on this, had to remove all my gear from the
> "production" mythtv box..I'll need to reinstall the PVRUSB2, but in fact, the
> combination I had was a little more complex (video0 is an existing pvr150
> running in the same box). I have another box where (having the time) I should
> be able to install the pvrusb2 box (sadly with USB1.1 in this case) and test
> it there.

You should be OK with the pvr150 there, but it is another factor to rule
out (e.g. see if the problem still happens even without the ivtv driver
loaded).

USB1.1 should be OK, provided you don't shift the video bit rate too high
(it's a sysfs setting; MythTV knows nothing about this).  If the rate is
too high for USB1.1, the video will stutter and drop frames.

> This 'watching a recording while it's being recorded' in fact would be a good
> description of what I saw, looking like the trigger, but I'll need sometime
> to try it again.

You may want to just fall back the last stable release which as far as I
know is still the fairly ancient 0.18.1 release.  At least that is a known
quantity.

>> We need more information here.
>
> Sure, I agree 100%, reproduce and isolate the problem to the 'simpler config
> where it will happen' should help :-), I will try to get it done during the
> next 'maintenance window' here :-)

OK, I understand of course.

> BTW, amazing work in the pvrusb2 driver, it is just the perfect matching to a
> small form factor pvr with several tuners :-).

Thanks :-)