[pvrusb2] tda9887 fun...

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Dec 25 02:54:41 CST 2005

I dug out some additional info on the operation of tda9887 with respect to
the pvrusb2 driver.  Good news: The tda9887 module is doing things right.
Bad news: I still see intermittent tuning problems.

I don't have a good handle on all the bizarre settings possible with this
tda9887 chip.  So I figured it would be a good idea to go back and snoop
the windows driver some more.  I enhanced the decode_log utility to
recognize and parse out traffic involving the tda9887 chip.  And after
spending far too long getting the Windows driver mostly working under
Win2K under vmware again (what a contest that was - wintv no longer works
at all under vmware 5.5.1 and even back with vmware 5.0.0 the latest
version of wintv fails to produce any video), I was able to capture two
instances of the windows driver programming the tda9887.  I compared the
result with debug output from tda9887.ko (realizing that this is NTSC that
I'm using here), and except for one bit I got a match.  (The one bit
different had to do with muting the FM audio out of the chip, something
definitely not relevant to the problem.)

Now that I have more confidence in the tda9887 module, I'll look around at
other things.  It's possible that the problem that I am seeing has to do
with the tuner itself.  Another possibility is that the pvrusb2 driver
isn't kicking the tda9887 module at the right times.

Once I have all this figured out, there will be some updates to the driver
web page.

Happy holidays everyone...