[pvrusb2] tda9887 fun...

xavier.gnata at free.fr xavier.gnata at free.fr
Sun Dec 25 05:10:56 CST 2005

Quoting Mike Isely <isely at isely.net>:

> I dug out some additional info on the operation of tda9887 with respect to
> the pvrusb2 driver.  Good news: The tda9887 module is doing things right.
> Bad news: I still see intermittent tuning problems.
>
> I don't have a good handle on all the bizarre settings possible with this
> tda9887 chip.  So I figured it would be a good idea to go back and snoop
> the windows driver some more.  I enhanced the decode_log utility to
> recognize and parse out traffic involving the tda9887 chip.  And after
> spending far too long getting the Windows driver mostly working under
> Win2K under vmware again (what a contest that was - wintv no longer works
> at all under vmware 5.5.1 and even back with vmware 5.0.0 the latest
> version of wintv fails to produce any video), I was able to capture two
> instances of the windows driver programming the tda9887.  I compared the
> result with debug output from tda9887.ko (realizing that this is NTSC that
> I'm using here), and except for one bit I got a match.  (The one bit
> different had to do with muting the FM audio out of the chip, something
> definitely not relevant to the problem.)
>
> Now that I have more confidence in the tda9887 module, I'll look around at
> other things.  It's possible that the problem that I am seeing has to do
> with the tuner itself.  Another possibility is that the pvrusb2 driver
> isn't kicking the tda9887 module at the right times.
>
> Once I have all this figured out, there will be some updates to the driver
> web page.
>
> Happy holidays everyone...
>
>    -Mike

Hi,

You have problems with wmvare so did you tried qemu?
http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/
Qemu is free (but the acceleration module a closed sources piece of software:()
The last version supports usb.
I'm currently not at home so I can not test with the pvrusb2 decive (but it
works with an usbkey)
IMHO, you should have a try of qemu ;)

Happy holidays :)
Xavier