[pvrusb2] no audio with PAL and tda9887

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Fri Dec 30 11:11:35 CST 2005

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Michael Roitzsch wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I seem to have one of the tda9887 devices, but I am not able to get it
> working. I have been trying various driver snapshots including the recent
> 20051226. This is on kernel 2.6.12. The problem is that I am getting the
> picture just fine, but have no audio with either the tuner or with the
> s-video or composite inputs. I have tried toggling the port1 and port2
> options for the tda9887 module with no effect.
>
> I am attaching the dmesg output in the hope that someone can give me clue
> what else I could try. Please note that I am in Germany, so I have a PAL
> unit. Since the driver selects SECAM-L by default, my first step is always to
> switch to PAL-BG with the sysfs interface. After that, I can run xine on
> /dev/video0 and see a clear picture, but no sound. I have verified that this
> is not a xine problem by passing the output of /dev/video0 to ffmpeg and
> extracting the audio to raw PCM. This gives an almost constant stream of
> zeroes with some intermittent spikes of higher values. Are there any other
> settings in sysfs that might be off or is it indeed a driver problem?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Several people have been struggling with this.  I posted a tip a few days
ago that so far has solved it for everyone who has tried.  First, use the
20051226 driver snapshot.  Then do this:

1. modprobe -r tda9887
2. modprobe tda9887 port2=0
3. Unplug the pvrusb2 and then plug it back in.

Does it work better now?

The problem is here isn't strictly the pvrusb2 driver; it involves the
tda9887.  The module by itself needs a configuration parameter in order to
work inside this hardware.  I'm probably going to find a way to have the
pvrusb2 tell it this info eventually.