[pvrusb2] no audio with PAL and tda9887

Michael Roitzsch mroi at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Dec 30 13:14:15 CST 2005

Hi Mike,

> As for the tda9887 problem, I'm at a loss to suggest anything
> beyond what you're already tried.  I'll look at your log output
> again and see if I can suggest anything new.  Also did you look at
> the FAQ and check the usual list of suspects for when there isn't
> any sound?

I think so. The msp3400 is loaded and I tried toggling the mute
control in sysfs and played with the volume and the various other
audio settings, but nothing changed.

Unfortunately, I could not get the driver working in Windows (just
Win98 here). The device works somewhat on the Mac. At least I get
some audio out of it (so I don't think the box itself is broken), but
sound and picture are distorted. I believe the Mac driver was written
with only NTSC in mind and does not handle PAL properly.

If it might help I could try getting my hands on an XP to sniff the
USB transfers on Windows, but I don't have any experience in that.

Btw, does the device normally disable sound by itself unless the
channel is tuned in properly (so you don't hear the static)?

Michael