[pvrusb2] no audio with PAL and tda9887

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Fri Dec 30 12:16:11 CST 2005

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Michael Roitzsch wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
>> Several people have been struggling with this.  I posted a tip a few days
>> ago that so far has solved it for everyone who has tried.  First, use the
>> 20051226 driver snapshot.  Then do this:
>>
>> 1. modprobe -r tda9887
>> 2. modprobe tda9887 port2=0
>> 3. Unplug the pvrusb2 and then plug it back in.
>>
>> Does it work better now?
>
> I already tried that (with 20051226). No change. I also tried port1=0.
>
> If I cycle the pvrusb2 as in step 3, I have to set the mode from SECAM-L to
> PAL-BG again. Maybe some part of the device does not pick that change up
> properly? (I also tried adding the option pal=b to tda9887 and to tuner
> without any change.)

When you power cycle the PVR USB2 device, the driver recreates itself.
It's a hotplugging thing - when you turn the device off the driver removes
its state corresponding to the disappeared device.  When you power back on
then it is recognized as a new device and new state is created from
scratch.  The tuner you have is multi-standard and the driver has to
"pick" one standard to start with.  It has no other input to work from so
it's picking SECAM-L each time.  This is an arbitrary choice - there is no
real reason to prefer one over the other.  Since the driver has no memory
of your previous choice, that's why you have to reset it.

As for the tda9887 problem, I'm at a loss to suggest anything beyond what
you're already tried.  I'll look at your log output again and see if I can
suggest anything new.  Also did you look at the FAQ and check the usual
list of suspects for when there isn't any sound?