[pvrusb2] New driver snapshot: pvrusb2-mci-20051231

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sat Dec 31 17:01:48 CST 2005

This snapshot rolls up a number of small items, plus one very large item.

The "large" item is that the logic which coordinates between the pvrusb2
driver and all the support modules has been pretty much completely
replaced.  The new implementation should be easier to maintain and should
do a more careful job of keeping everything sync.  (In particular, now
when/if you reload a module like, say tda9887, you should no longer have
to re-plug the PVR USB2 hardware to make the change take effect.)

Given the size of this change, it's possible that I might have broken
something.  I've been beating on it all day today and it looks good from
where I'm sitting.  However I only just started debugging it this
afternoon - the last bit of new code for it only went in last night.  At
this point I believe it's stable, but I'd appreciate some feedback that
things are still working well for you.

Two other changes of interest:

The pvrusb2 driver will attempt to command tda9887 now to do the
equivalent of "port2=0" and "port1=0" if it finds a type 43
(TUNER_PHILIPS_FM1236_MK3) or type 38 (TUNER_PHILIPS_FM1216ME_MK3) tuner.
This behavior actually mimics what has been done in the ivtv driver.  I
don't know if this is going to be good enough.  For example, it might make
sense to always do this regardless of tuner type, whenever tda9887 shows
up to join the party.  Or there might be additional tuner types to be
sensitive to.  I think the answer to that is only going to come out in due
time.  (I *still* have problems with B&W video randomly showing up on my
device even with all this in place.)  Regardless of this change, you can
still override "port1" and "port2" as module options when tda9887 is
loaded.  Hopefully now you won't have to - but again I'd appreciate some
feedback from folks doing this as to whether or not this helps.  Note: If
you see "i2c demod set_config(0x60)" in your system log, then that's the
pvrusb2 driver setting these options for you.

For multi-standard tuners, the driver is going to initially choose a PAL
setting now in preference to SECAM.  This doesn't mean that SECAM is a
problem - it just means that if you really want SECAM now you'll have to
set it.  Sorry, but there's more PAL people in the world than there are
SECAM.  I personally don't care since I'm NTSC :-)  Sorry about the
change, but it is desired for the pvrusb2 driver in the V4L tree and I'm
trying to stay compatible.

I still have a (now shorter) list of other updates to make - especially to
the web pages.  However I wanted to get this snapshot out now before
continuing.

Happy New Year.