[pvrusb2] Re: pvrusb2 Digest, Vol 3, Issue 2

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Thu Nov 3 08:49:50 CST 2005

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:

> I agree on your comments. Normally there is a flag in defconfig
> specifying how to compile.
>
> However for pvrusb2 I (and probably most others) are building outside
> the kernel. (by hittimg make in the drivers dir). I'm not sure if it
> picks up the flags in defconfing if invoked in this way.
>
> For the 2.6.14 arm build system I am using at least I did not get any
> flags, so I thought a verification on whether we are building optimised
> is useful.

Interesting coincidence - this week's edition of the kernel page on
lwn.net has a discussion about using -Os to build the kernel.  It seems
that there is simply no downside to doing this and one wonder why it isn't
the default.

Yes the driver is built outside of the kernel, but I had been presuming
that it should be hooking up with whatever configuration was used to build
the kernel - config settings, header files, and compilation flags.  That
would only seem to make sense.  However you raise a good point and I'll
look into it.