[pvrusb2] Re: pvrusb2 Digest, Vol 3, Issue 2

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 3 02:06:34 CST 2005

Mike wrote:

This module is set up to build as part of the kbuild system exported by
the kernel itself. To that end, I have mostly just followed what the
kbuild documentation recommended and it said nothing about CFLAGS. I kind
of figure that choices pertaining to _how_ to compile the sources should
be left up to the build system and that the question of _what_ to compile
is what I have to provide. For example, if it makes sense to optimize for
size (-Os), then why shouldn't that be done for the whole kernel instead
of just the module?

Hi Mike,

I agree on your comments. Normally there is a flag in defconfig specifying how to compile.

However for pvrusb2 I (and probably most others) are building outside the kernel. (by hittimg make in the drivers dir). I'm not sure if it picks up the flags in defconfing if invoked in this way.

For the 2.6.14 arm build system I am using at least I did not get any flags, so I thought a verification on whether we are building optimised is useful.

Best regards, Frans