[pvrusb2] radio part

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Thu Oct 6 17:08:46 CDT 2005

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, Andreas Korinek wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> now that the tv part of the driver is mostly running, I am interested getting
> the radio working. I have no experience with this, but would it be possible
> to just run a usb sniffer on the windoze radio app and reimplement the whole
> stuff into the driver?

Yes, it is very possible to sniff the USB traffic and figure what to
change.  In fact, I already did just that several months and I have tucked
away a saved trace of the radio operating in Windows - actually in Win2K
under vmware under Linux :-)  Unfortunately I just haven't had the time to
follow up on this.

For what it's worth, here are some areas I'm pretty sure would need to be
addressed before the radio works:

1. The Conexant encoder will have to be reprogrammed.  This is the biggest
aspect of the problem and the largest unknown.  But the trace data should
help a lot there.

2. I suspect that the MP3 audio stream *might* need to come down a
different USB logical endpoint than the one used for mpeg2.  This is a
trivial question to answer (just look at the previously mentioned trace),
but I just haven't done it yet.

3. Programming of the tuner section might need to be tweaked and there are
likely to be some differences with how the msp3400 audio processor needs
to work.