[pvrusb2] ivtv 0.4.0

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Fri Oct 28 14:06:26 CDT 2005

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005, Bill Crowell wrote:

> Mike and the group,
>
> There is a new ivtv driver and apparently new maintainers. I was able to
> compile it against 2.6.14, but the make install complains about drivers
> already in the kernel - tveeprom and so forth.
>
> We apparently have drivers in 3 places:
>
> 1. The kernel from kernel.org
> 2. The ivtv group
> 3. The ones distributed with  pvrusb2

Case (3) is identical to case (2).  What is in pvrusb2 comes DIRECTLY out
of the ivtv driver sources, unchanged.  What is in the current snapshot
has already been updated to come from ivtv 0.4.0.  Diff the C sources and
you'll see they are identical.

> I would *presume* that I should remove the drivers from the base kernel's
> configuration and use the ones supplied by the ivtv group. The reasoning is
> that theirs should be the latest as a number of modifications are listed.

Probably favoring the ivtv-sourced versions are the best choice.

> The question then is, what to do with pvrusb2? Does it link against existing
> drivers?

Ignore the pvrusb2-built version of those modules and load the ones from
ivtv.  It should all "just work".

> Which is the best configuration and how should this be done?

The versions included in pvrusb2 are there purely as a convenience.  They
are identical to what is in ivtv (at some point in time).  Most of these
modules also have clones in V4L itself (all except for saa7115.ko).  The
reason why I've copied them into pvrusb2 is because (1) it's silly to
require everybody to grab and build ivtv in order to use pvrusb2, and (2)
there have been incidents in the past where bugs in the V4L-supplied
versions of those modules have caused problems with pvrusb2 yet the
versions from ivtv tend (for me at least) to work better.

> DISCLAIMER: I make no assertion that I can program in C or have any idea of
> what I'm actually doing in the kernel.

This whole situation is explained on the main pvrusb2 web page.  Sorry
about the verbosity, but the detail on that page has evolved to the level
it's at because of issues that have come up over time.