[pvrusb2] ivtv 0.4.0

Bill Crowell bill at crowellsystems.com
Fri Oct 28 13:57:18 CDT 2005

Mike and the group,

There is a new ivtv driver and apparently new maintainers. I was able to
compile it against 2.6.14, but the make install complains about drivers
already in the kernel - tveeprom and so forth.

We apparently have drivers in 3 places:

1. The kernel from kernel.org
2. The ivtv group
3. The ones distributed with  pvrusb2

I would *presume* that I should remove the drivers from the base
kernel's configuration and use the ones supplied by the ivtv group. The
reasoning is that theirs should be the latest as a number of
modifications are listed.

The question then is, what to do with pvrusb2? Does it link against
existing drivers?

Which is the best configuration and how should this be done?

DISCLAIMER: I make no assertion that I can program in C or have any idea
of what I'm actually doing in the kernel.

Once this is settled, on to lirc which I've yet to see running properly
with both KDE and xawtv, but that is another story...

Regards,

Bill

--
William G. Crowell, VP & CTO