[pvrusb2] remote control

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Sep 11 13:33:19 CDT 2005

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005, Andreas Korinek wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> does anyone know how to set up the remote control support for the device?
>
> I installed lirc and when I modprobe lirc_i2c I get the following in dmesg:
>
> lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, at major 61
> lirc_i2c: chip found @ 0x18 (Hauppauge IR)
> pvrusb2 i2c_attach [client=Hauppauge IR @ 0x18 id=0xf3]
> lirc_dev: lirc_register_plugin: sample_rate: 10
>

> Looks good so far, but when I start lircd, there are no signals being
> received, nothing happens.

The lirc* files that are in the driver snapshot are just carry-overs from
before the time when I started working on the driver.  They are still
there mainly because I haven't taken any action to improve / replace them.
So don't feel too attached to them, and in fact I think they've caused
more trouble than they've solved.

One pvrusb2 user I believe has created a far better lirc config file that
better maps to the remote included with the PVR USB2 package.  I've been
remiss in updating the driver snapshot with this; I'll go back through my
e-mail and see if I can locate that.

With all that said, there may be other problems.  If it helps any, there
is very little that the pvrusb2 driver itself can do to help or screw up
this situation.  The actual control of the IR receiver hardware is being
implemented by lirc, not pvrusb2.  This means that the problem(s) you
might be having are not likely unique to pvrusb2 - which means that you
might find more help by searching the net for lirc FAQs or information
related to its operation.  Certainly post what you find here, if you'd
like.