[pvrusb2] Kernel oops?

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Wed Sep 14 11:18:32 CDT 2005

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Arnaud Boulan wrote:

> Mike Isely <isely at isely.net> a écrit :
>
> > This is the key.  This is the point where the problem started.
> > Interestingly enough, this appears to be the place where one other person
> > reported an oops - that I had posted here about a week ago.
> >

> Hello evryone,
>
> I finally registered to the list! I am the one who reported this problem
> last time :)
>
> I switched to the latest snapshot with the sanity checks enabled, but the
> problem didn't yet reoccur since i reported it, about two weeks ago.

Just checking here - but you do need to explicitly enable the
SANITY_CHECK_BUFFERS code in pvrusb2-io.c.  I debated leaving it on by
default for the release, but since (at that time) you were the only one
detecting a problem I decided against it.  But now that two people are
seeing this, we know it's not a machine-specific issue and others might
see this as well.  In that case, I encourage EVERYONE to turn this on.

BTW, I did try a long test looking for this problem with mplayer, just on
the hope that I might get some kind of misbehavior.  The test ran for
about 26 hours - until it was unfortunately terminated by a neighborhood
power failure at about 1:15AM Sunday morning last weekend.