[pvrusb2] Failure to compile on FC5 / 2.6.16

Jeff Sadowski jeff_sadowski at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 9 00:28:23 CDT 2006

I'll try a build tonight or tomorrow and I'll see what happens I just upgraded to FC5 it could be gcc 4.1.0 too and thats what I suspect

Mike Isely <isely at isely.net> wrote:
Robert:

I got a clean build here using vanilla kernel 2.6.16.1.  So....

I think I might know what is going on here and you're probably not going
to want to hear it :-(

There are various APIs that have been getting thrashed / changed etc in
each version of the kernel.  Some changes have been in V4L while others
have been in the kernel itself.  An out-of-tree driver like this one has
only a single defense against this - by implementing conditionally
compiled code that conditions itself on the kernel version against which
the driver is being compiled.  That works well for vanilla kernels.
However when a distribution vendor back-ports changes between different
versions of the kernel then you can get problems where such a change might
subtlely change an API and then compilation breaks.  I think that might be
the case here.

I am pretty sure that the msp_matrix structure in fact did recently move
around a bit in the 2.6.16 timeframe.

I can't get into the business of identifying distro-specific versions and
modifying the driver to adapt to stuff like that.  I'm not a Fedora user
so there's no way I can test this sort of thing.  Also if I were to try to
support Fedora in this way, then where does it stop?  The burden of having
to test compile against each possible kernel variant can be overwhelming.
I have a hard enough time just testing compiling against 4-6 kernel
versions for each snapshot - and if you look at the change history you'll
see I've failed in that regard multiple times...

Is there any chance you can switch to a vanilla kernel from kernel.org?
Failing that you might be able to take some stabs at various other FC
derived kernels.  You could also just try to edit the driver sources and
if you want to send me a patch I'll look at it - but I can't promise I'll
include it if it might be hazardous to the vanilla kernels.  Also in any
case even if I apply such a patch I can't support it or guarantee that it
will continue to build correctly in the future.

I'm not trying to be a pain; it's just that there's a limit to how many
kernel variants I can juggle here and still have time left to actually
improve the driver :-(

   -Mike