[pvrusb2] Failure to compile on FC5 / 2.6.16

Jeff Sadowski jeff_sadowski at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 9 03:13:24 CDT 2006

Well I modified the headerfile in the kernel and just
took out the structure it was complaining about and
everything built just fine. But then I went to compile
ivtv and wow everything in there is broken
I was modifying it to get it to compile mostly by
removing .name and .flag and looking up the I2C
defines I finally got it to compile but that wasn't
good enough :-( I'll try a few other things before bed
and see what else I can discover hmm

--- Jeff Sadowski <jeff_sadowski at yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]
> thrashed / changed etc in
> each version of the kernel.  Some changes have been
> in V4L while others
> have been in the kernel itself.  An out-of-tree
> driver like this one has
> only a single defense against this - by implementing
> conditionally
> compiled code that conditions itself on the kernel
> version against which
> the driver is being compiled.  That works well for
> vanilla kernels.
> However when a distribution vendor back-ports
> changes between different
> versions of the kernel then you can get problems
> where such a change might
> subtlely change an API and then compilation breaks.
> I think that might be
> the case here.
>
> I am pretty sure that the msp_matrix structure in
> fact did recently move
> around a bit in the 2.6.16 timeframe.
>
> I can't get into the business of identifying
> distro-specific versions and
> modifying the driver to adapt to stuff like that.
> I'm not a Fedora user
> so there's no way I can test this sort of thing.
> Also if I were to try to
> support Fedora in this way, then where does it stop?
>  The burden of having
> to test compile against each possible kernel variant
> can be overwhelming.
> I have a hard enough time just testing compiling
> against 4-6 kernel
> versions for each snapshot - and if you look at the
> change history you'll
> see I've failed in that regard multiple times...
>
> Is there any chance you can switch to a vanilla
> kernel from kernel.org?
> Failing that you might be able to take some stabs at
> various other FC
> derived kernels.  You could also just try to edit
> the driver sources and
> if you want to send me a patch I'll look at it - but
> I can't promise I'll
> include it if it might be hazardous to the vanilla
> kernels.  Also in any
> case even if I apply such a patch I can't support it
> or guarantee that it
> will continue to build correctly in the future.
>
> I'm not trying to be a pain; it's just that there's
> a limit to how many
> kernel variants I can juggle here and still have
> time left to actually
> improve the driver :-(
>
>    -Mike
>

> On Fri, 7 Apr 2006, Robert Kulagowski wrote:
>
> > I think I read everything on the web page and
> didn't see any mention of
> > this issue:
> >
> > $ pwd
> > /home/mythtv/pvrusb2-mci-20060329/driver
> > $  make
> > make INSTALL_MOD_DIR=pvrusb2 -C
> /lib/modules/2.6.16-1.2080_FC5smp/source
> > M=/home/mythtv/pvrusb2-mci-20060329/driver
> CONFIG_VIDEO_PVRUSB2=m modules
> > make[1]: Entering directory
> `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.16-1.2080_FC5-smp-i686'

/home/mythtv/pvrusb2-mci-20060329/driver/pvrusb2-audio.o
> > In file included from

/home/mythtv/pvrusb2-mci-20060329/driver/pvrusb2-audio.c:36: