[pvrusb2] xawtv fix [was: firmware problems it seems]

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Apr 9 22:33:04 CDT 2006

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006, Mike Isely wrote:

> I've isolated the xawtv problem down to a specific revision in Subversion.
> I'm completely surprised by what I found.  Still working on the problem.

I just confirmed it, and never in a million years would I have guessed
this as a cause.  Here's a fix you can try right now.  Edit
pvrusb2-encoder.c and locate the line where CX2341X_ENC_SET_OUTPUT_PORT is
being issued.  It should be around line 300 of the source file.  It's
going to look like this:

 	/* set stream output port. */
 	ret |= pvr2_write_encoder_vcmd(hdw, CX2341X_ENC_SET_OUTPUT_PORT, 2,
 				       0x01, 0x02);

Change that last argument from 0x02 to 0x01, so that it looks like this:

 	ret |= pvr2_write_encoder_vcmd(hdw, CX2341X_ENC_SET_OUTPUT_PORT, 2,
 				       0x01, 0x01);

Rebuild and replace the loaded module with the new version.  Make sure you
unload the driver from memory first - hotplug won't automagically reload
the driver.  When I do that, xawtv starts working again.

This setting had been "0x01" in the past but I had changed it to 0x02
because the new model 24xxx series required it.  AND I considered it safe
because I tested the old hardware with this setting while using mplayer.
So I'm not convinced yet that this is the right solution.  This setting is
a deep hardware "thing" and if xawtv would have been affected then I would
have expected mplayer to fail as well but it hasn't.  Worse still, this
still hasn't addressed the problem of xawtv running on new hardware, since
in that case the setting would be in conflict.

I need to do more tests, however try the workaround above to get past the
immediate problem.

Has anyone seen xawtv work properly using new (i.e. model 24xxx) hardware?

By the way, I am working to update the web pages now.  I was hoping to get
something out for that tonight, but now this xawtv issue has center stage
for the moment...