[pvrusb2] Firmware location error?

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Thu Apr 20 14:18:38 CDT 2006

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, roger at eskimo.com wrote:

> Well, at least it's getting me to do some looking at fwfind.sh now so I
> can enable it to extract the firmwares from the newer pvrusb2*zip file.

Word of warning: The FX2 firmware file is _different_ between old vs new
hardware and there's no forwards / backwards compatibility there either.
The current fwextract.pl script can tell the difference and will generate
different file names based on what it finds.  Also with the new hardware,
there are 3 firmware files now, not two.  The additional firmware image is
for the cx25843 chip; it is needed for the audio side of that chip.

The way fwextract.pl works is that you (still) don't need to tell it what
to expect.  It will just use its stored MD5 sums as usual and recognize
things accordingly.  So for example if you feed it a directory full of
Windows files that has the driver for the new hardware, then you'll get
back firmware images for the new hardware.  I've also "enhanced" the
output of fwextract.pl to tell the user what hardware type it has
extracted for as a way for the user to hopefully make a visual
confirmation that he's extracted from the correct driver package.  (And
the whole thing works via table driven data so there's actually not much
in fwextract.pl that is truly specific to the pvrusb2 driver, beyond the
table data itself.)

I'm not sure how you would want to handle this in fwfind.sh.  Since your
script can go grab the official Windows driver package off the net, it
needs to know what it has to download for.  So it seems that you'll need a
way for the user to tell it which hardware type it has to deal with...