[pvrusb2] Anyone here able to test the pvrusb2 driver in Japan?

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 22 13:56:43 CDT 2006

Mike,

I don't live in Japan, but I have a fair knowledge of
TV standards and I have never heard of NTSC-J.

Decided to google for this and wikipedia said\ on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTSC

Unlike PAL, with its many varied underlying broadcast
television systems in use throughout the world, NTSC
color encoding is invariably used with broadcast
system M, giving NTSC-M. Britain once contemplated
introducing a 405-line NTSC-A system on top of its old
black-and-white television system, but the proposal
was eventually scrapped in favor of the incompatible
PAL-I. Only Japan's variant "NTSC-J" is very slightly
different: in Japan, black level and blanking level of
the signal are identical (at 0 IRE), as they are in
PAL, while in American NTSC, black level is slightly
higher (7.5 IRE) than blanking level. Since the
difference is quite small, a slight turn of the
brightness knob is all that is required to enjoy the
"other" variant of NTSC on any set as it is supposed
to be; most watchers might not even notice the
difference in the first place.

I guess in Japan NTSC-M will do.

Best regards, Frans