[pvrusb2] Problem with 2400 hardware / linux 2.6.16.9 / pvrusb2 20060418

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sat Apr 22 19:01:03 CDT 2006

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006, Byrom Dorsey wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a new user of this driver and I'm looking for some guidance.
> I've followed the directions here, but I can't get the driver to
> work.  I have extracted the 3 firmware files required for the 2400
> hardware and I'm using a 2.6.16.9 kernel with the 20060418 release
> of the pvrusb2 driver.  My distribution was SUSE 10.0.  I  built
> the kernel as downloaded from kernel.org.
>
> When I plug the WinTV device (24012 Rev C2A3 LF NTSC/NTSC-J) into
> the USB port of my Toshiba Libretto, the driver seems to initialize
> correctly, recognize the chips, and upload firmware.  But, after
> declaring success, there's an Oops problem.
>
> I'm very sorry if this turns out to be a newbie type problem.  I
> have read the documentation and searched the archives.  What could
> I have done to cause this problem?
>
> Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks very much
> for working on this driver, Mike.

I think it's an unwritten rule that only newbies hit the subtle
problems...

No, I don't think you did anything wrong here.  Really it just should not
be possible to oops the driver no matter what.  So we need to figure out
what is going on.  Some info that will help:  First, I just want to be
really sure that we're talking about a vanilla kernel here.  Second, send
me your lsmod output (private e-mail) so I can see which module might have
been around to touch the driver.