[pvrusb2] Problem with 2400 hardware / linux 2.6.16.9 / pvrusb2 20060418

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Apr 23 01:26:33 CDT 2006

I found the root cause of this problem.  A mutex in the pvrusb2 driver is
being crushed by a wild pointer overwrite coming from the cx25840 module
(which is a part of V4L).  This is happening because cx25840 is attempting
to "adjust" a parameter internal to a particular type of I2C adapter
driver, an assumption that cannot be true in the case of the pvrusb2
driver.

I need to think a bit about the correct solution here.  Probably
cx25840-firmware.c needs to change, but I may come up with a good
workaround in the pvrusb2 driver standalone sources in the mean time.

This however means two things: (1) Old hardware is not affected (it
doesn't use cx25840).  (2) Anyone with new hardware is kind of screwed at
the moment.  I will get a fix for this out as soon as I can.