[pvrusb2] Installing Driver

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Apr 30 15:50:18 CDT 2006

On Mon, 1 May 2006, Richard Müller wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 30. April 2006 00:06 schrieb Mike Isely:
> On Sun, 30 Apr 2006, Richard Müller wrote:
> > I think I have to make this kernel bootable?
>
> Not sure what you mean.
>I meant that I have to boot this kernel - which I did.

>I have now a vanilla-kernel 2.6.16 working, copied the firmware files to their
>destination etc...

> I have now a /dev/video0 device. I can access the WinTVusb2-box. I read the
> serial number via software/sysfs (and it's the same as printed on the
> case ;-)
> and so on, it seems as I did everything right...
> But I'm not able to get a stream. I have a video recorder on the WinTV box and
> want to save the video stream.
> cat /dev/video0 > movie.mpg resulted in an empty file,
> xine - < /dev/video0 makes xine hang,
> kaffeine hangs, if " fifo:/dev/video0#demux:mpeg " is written into the URL field.

Focus on getting cat to work first; if you can't cat out of /dev/video
then it's pointless to try anything more complex.  Several possible
reasons: You might not be tuned to a valid signal.  Or there might be a
module missing from the running kernel.

Assuming that you know you're tuning to an appropriate frequency, then I'd
look at the modules.  Examine your system log and see if there are any
funny errors coming from the driver.  Also, cat
/sys/class/pvrusb2/*/debuginfo and look at the list of chip-level drivers
(i.e. modules) showing there.  Make sure you aren't missing any.  If you
look at the updated pvrusb2 web documentation that I put up yesterday, you
can find out what chip-level drivers are to be expected.  The details
relating to the chip-level drivers can be found at
http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2/chipdrivers.html