[pvrusb2] SECAM-L is back.

Mike Isely isely at isely.net
Sun Aug 13 21:42:27 CDT 2006

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006, xavier.gnata at free.fr wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have compiled/booted a 2.6.18-rc4-mm1 to test pvrusb2 code included in this
> kernel.
> It works but an old issue seems to be back :
> Launching xawtv, I get a error message :
> "invalid value for norm: SECAM-L
> valid choices from "norm" : ...cutted..SECAM-B,SECAM-D,SECAM-G,SECAM-H"
>
> I have no clue what are SECAM-B,SECAM-D,SECAM-G and SECAM-H but french people
> use SECAM-L.
> However, despite this warning, I can watch TV setting xawtv norm to SECAM-B.
> This problem is not here when I'm using externally compiled pvrusb2 (last
> version) on a 2.6.17.7.

The video standard handling code is pretty much the same in both cases.
You can use sysfs to dump out a list of all the standards currently
available (IIRC, it's ctl_video_standard/enum_val, but I will have to
check to be sure).  Dumping that list for both the in-kernel and
standalone drivers would be helpful.  Another thing you can do is turn up
the debugging in the driver.  There's a bunch of traceprint that reports
what standards are being selected, what's available, etc.  I think turning
on the "PVR2_TRACE_INIT" flag (see pvrusb2-debug.h for the list of bit
positions and read the driver's web documentation about manipulating the
debug mask) will help here.

> Xawtv may be wrong here but I have ever seen SECAM-L in France (and not SECAM-B)

No argument there.

> BTW, as the driver is now in the mainline, I'm not sure to be on the right list
> here. We should post bug reports on V4L kernel mailling list, shouldn't we?

I'm much more likely to see bug reports here since I don't currently
monitor the kernel list.  The MAINTAINERS entry for the driver already
points here.